No-Knead Spelt Pizza Roll Ups
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
The summer evenings are starting to get shorter and there's a little early morning chill on the air. Fall is on its way and that means its Back to School time. It's time to leave the lazy, hazy summer days behind us and get back to schedules, back to homework and back to boxed lunches. If you are looking for a great savoury grab and go snack for after school or something different for lunch then these just about fit the bill. Adapt them to any flavours you like, get creative, go crazy. Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Spelt Flour, Fine Grind or Sprouted
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Type '00' Pizza & Pasta Flour
- 1/2 tsp Instant yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Warm water
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce, homemade or store bought
- 1 1/2 cup Cheese of choice, regular/non-dairy/nut cheese etc.
- 1/4 cup Pesto sauce (optional)
To make the dough:
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, yeast and salt. Add the water and mix together to form a rough, shaggy dough, but with no dry flour remaining. Go around the bowl a few times pulling up from the sides and tucking the dough down into the center. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume. This will take about 60-90 minutes.
- When the dough is ready preheat the oven to 425˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and stretch and fold the dough over itself a few times. Shape into a ball and then roll out until the dough measures 12 x 10 inches in size.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough and sprinkle with the cheese and other toppings of your choice.
- Roll the dough up lengthways to form a long roll, just as you would if making cinnamon rolls. Cut the roll into 12 equal slices, approximately ¾ inch wide.
- Place the slices onto the lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Put a little pesto onto each slice (if using). Cover the baking sheets loosely with a clean towel and allow the slices to proof again for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until puffy and golden. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Techniques