Rainbow Vegetable Stew with Einkorn, Lentils and Chickpeas
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
When you are looking for a flavour packed, nutritious meal, then this stew just about ticks all the boxes. Here you will find a hearty mixture of whole grains, beans and lentils combined with the earthy flavours of carrots, butternut squash and kale.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots, sliced
- 1 cup Butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup Anita’s Organic French Green Lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups hopped or pureed canned tomatoes (equal to 1 x 14oz can)
- 1 cup Cooked chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked Anita’s Organic Einkorn Grains (or other grain of choice)
- 3 cups Chopped, kale
- In a large pot sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent, this will take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook for few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped carrots, butternut squash, lentils, stock, water, bay leaf and thyme. Stir and bring the pan to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the veggies and lentils are tender.
- When the lentils are cooked add the tomatoes, chickpeas, einkorn grains and chopped kale.
- Cook the stew for another 5 minutes to allow the kale to wilt and the einkorn and chickpeas to warm through. Taste and add a little more salt if needed and a few grinds of fresh back pepper.
- Serve hot with a nice hunk of sourdough bread.
Tips & Techniques