Sprouted Spelt Flour Cranberry & Walnut Scones
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
If you are looking for a delightful baked treat to accompany your morning cuppa this scone is just the ticket. Not too sweet and dotted with tart, fresh cranberries it’s a perfect little mid-morning ‘pick me up’. Made with our Sprouted Spelt Flour and with a hint of cinnamon and dash of orange zest. Simply lovely.
- 1 1/2 cups Anita’s Organic White Spelt Flour
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen cranberries
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup Non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup Neutral tasting oil
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (or 1/2 tsp vanilla powder; or seeds from one whole vanilla bean)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir in the sugar and salt.
- In a smaller bowl or jug mix together the milk, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla and set aside.
- To the dry ingredients add the chopped walnuts, cranberries and the orange zest. Stir until evenly combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- If the mixture is quite wet scoop 1/3 cups of mixture and drop onto the lined sheet. If frozen cranberries are used the mixture will feel a little dryer (as the mixture will be very cold) and it may be easier to shape the batter into a round and cut into triangles.
- Sprinkle the tops of the scones with a little cane sugar and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Move scones onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Techniques