Savoury Sprouted Spelt Biscuits
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Winter makes us crave for warm; hearty soul food, especially dishes like soups; stews and chili’s. Here in North America the go to accompaniment for these dishes is usually freshly made warm bread or biscuits. Here is a fabulous recipe for Sprouted Spelt Savoury Biscuits that are just about perfect to eat with any bowl of winter goodness.
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 1 cup Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Dried herbs (parsley works well)
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil, solid (not liquid)
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy cheese (or regular sharp cheese) – optional
- 3/4 cup Non-dairy milk (or regular)
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, mustard powder, black pepper and herbs.
- Cut the coconut oil into small pieces and work into the dry mixture with your finger tips or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine, wet sand.
- Stir in the optional cheese if desired.
- Slowly add the milk to the dry mixture to bind the mixture together. Knead gently to pull everything together but don’t over work. If the mixture is too dry add a little more milk.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface and flatten or roll out into a 1” thick round.
- Using a round cookie cutter cut out biscuits and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly golden. Serve warm.
Tips & Techniques