Savoury Pumpkin Scones
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
It’s pumpkin time again! Try these savoury scones warm from the oven with a dash of your favourite butter. Great just as a snack or perfect with soups and stews. Serve them like biscuits with your favourite gravy or try them instead of English Muffins next time you are making a savoury breakfast. Made entirely from our Spelt Flour they do not disappoint. We made these dairy free but feel free to use regular dairy products if you don’t have any issues or preferences.
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 3/4 cup Anita’s Organic Stone Ground Spelt Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Rye Flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Chili flakes
- Few twists of black pepper
- 2 tbsp Snipped chives or chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup Dairy free/plant-based butter substitute, cold
- 1 cup Dairy free/plant-based cheese substitute
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup Dairy free/plant-based milk
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, baking powder, salt, mustard powder and chili flakes.
- Cut the dairy free butter into small pieces and drop into the dry mixture. Rub in with your fingertips or a pastry cutter until the butter has almost disappeared into the dry mix. A few pea size lumps of butter left in the mixture is fine.
- Stir in the cheese and fresh herbs. Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add the pumpkin puree and the milk. Fold everything together until just mixed. Shape into a ball and place on a floured work surface.
- Roll the mixture out to 1 inch thick and use a cookie cutter to cut round shapes. Keep re-rolling and cutting until all the mixture is used up. This mixture should make 10 depending on the size of the cookie cutter used.
- Place the scones on the lined cookie sheet and brush with a little more milk. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired and a little flaked salt.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden in colour. Once cooked remove from the oven and leave on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool further.
Tips & Techniques