Gluten Free Jalapeno Cheddar Scones
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Crisp on the outside and light and delicate on the inside, these gluten free scones are everything a good scone should be. Start with very cold ingredients and work quickly so the butter doesn’t melt for the best results.
- 2 1/4 cups Anita’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
- 1 tsp Fine salt (try smoked sea salt if you like smoky flavours)
- 1/2 cup Very cold unsalted butter, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1/2 cup Whipping cream
- 2 Eggs
- 180 grams Extra sharp cheddar cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 Large jalapenos, seeded and rinsed and chopped (see notes)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Whipping cream
- To sprinkle Smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F convection or 400˚F with no convection.
- Cube the cheese into 1cm pieces and dust with a small amount of Anita’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour to keep them from clumping together. Set Aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and xanthan gum.
- Add the cubed butter and blend with a pastry blender until the butter is the size of large peas. Break up any oversized lumps with your fingers.
- Whisk together the cream and eggs and pour over the flour mixture.
- Mix by hand until no dry flour remains.
- Add the cheese and chopped jalapeno and incorporate by hand.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter. Press flat with your hands, fold half of the dough over itself and press flat again. Do this 2 more times to create those layers.
- Press the dough out to a 1” thickness and cut with a 2.5” round cutter.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, brush tops with eggs wash, lightly dust with smoked paprika and place in the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until crispy and brown.
*Leave the seeds in the jalapenos if you want them really spicy.
Tips & Techniques