Blackberry & Walnut Einkorn Scones
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Scones are such a versatile baked treat and popular all year round. From savoury scones (biscuits) served with warming winter soups, to delicate cream tea inspired versions, the possibilities and flavour combinations are endless. Here we have combined our Einkorn Flour with seasonal blackberries, earthy walnuts and a few pinches of freshly grated nutmeg. Serve these while still warm with a skiff of ‘butter’ for a comforting hug to the tummy.
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup Non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Einkorn Flour
- 1 cup Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Almond Flour
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegan/non-dairy butter, cold
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup Fresh blackberries (chop any large ones in half)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl or jug whisk together the yogurt, milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flours and baking powder. Stir in the salt, nutmeg and sugar until evenly combined.
- Cut the non-dairy butter into teaspoon size pieces and drop into the flour mixture. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter work the butter into the flour until almost all of the butter has been incorporated. A few peas size lumps of butter left in the mixture is fine.
- Add the blackberries and the chopped walnuts to the mixture and stir well.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the dry mixture and fold everything together until fully incorporated. Form the dough into one large ball and place on a lightly floured work surface. Flatten and mold the dough into a 7-inch round circle. With a sharp knife cut the circle into 8 equal triangles (or use a circular cookie cutter if you prefer round scones). Carefully transfer the scones to the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the scones lightly with a ‘wash’ mixture of equal amounts of melted non-dairy butter and non-dairy. Sprinkle each scone with cane sugar and place in the centre of the oven to bake for 18 to 20 minutes. milk & melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes in the centre of the oven until golden around the edges. Allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool further.
Tips & Techniques