Ancient Grain Apricot & Walnut Scones
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Apricot and Walnut Scones made with a mixture of our Spelt, Kamut and Einkorn Flours. A perfect treat for breakfast, coffee time, afternoon tea or even dessert. Serve while still warm with a skiff of butter.
- 1 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose White Spelt
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Einkorn Flour
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Kamut Flour or Sprouted Kamut Flour
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 2/3 cup Coconut oil, solid form
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Apricots, chopped
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla powder (if using extract add with the milk later). Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Scoop teaspoon size amounts of the coconut oil into the flour mixture and cut in with a pastry cutter - or if you have cool hands rub in with your finger tips until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Stir in the chopped apricots & walnuts.
- Using a spatula stir in 1/2 cup of the milk a few tablespoons at a time until it starts to come together to form a dough. Use the remainder of the milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Form the mixture into a loose ball and place on a lightly floured work surface. Shape and flatten the ball into a round (approx. 7 inch’s diameter) and cut into 8 triangles with a sharp knife. For round scones use a round cookie cutter.
- Brush the top of each scone with a little milk and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- When cooked move the scones to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Techniques