How to make a barbequed margherita pizza
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Start with our easy overnight pizza dough recipe, and add the following ingredients (enough to top one 16-inch round pizza):
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 5 to 7 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2-ounce grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 ounces part skim mozzarella, shredded
- 4 to 6 large basil leaves, shredded
- Prepare your favourite pizza dough and divide into equally-sized dough balls.
- To shape and cook the margherita pizza: Heat a gas grill to high and make sure the grill grates are clean and free of debris.
- Toss the tomato with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic, salt and red pepper flakes in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Lightly flour the countertop and flatten 1 of the dough balls. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 16-inch round, rotating and stretching the dough as you go. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured pizza peel and stretch to re-shape if necessary.
- Oil the grill grates and decrease the heat to medium. Brush the dough with 1 to 2 tsp of olive oil and flip onto 1 end of the hot grill, leaving room for the tomatoes on the grate. Put the prepared tomatoes on the grill, close the lid and cook until the bottom of the crust is golden brown and the tomatoes are softened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Brush the raw side of the dough with 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then immediately flip using the peel. Top with the grilled tomatoes, smashing and spreading the tomatoes to create a sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, mozzarella and basil. Close the lid and cook until the bottom of crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted, another 1 to 2 minutes. Using a peel, remove the pizza to a cooling rack and let rest for 3 minutes before slicing.