Gluten Free Apple Carrot & Raisin Walnut Muffins
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Are you looking for a muffin recipe that doesn’t use any gluten-based flours? Then look no further! These tasty morsels are hearty and delicious and conjure up thoughts of falling leaves and crisp fall mornings.
- 2 tbsp Anita’s Organic Flax Meal (or use 1 beaten egg instead)
- 4 tbsp Water (eliminate if using an egg)
- 1 cup Non-dairy or regular milk
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 cup Apple (about 2 regular sized apples), tart, grated & squeezed
- 1 cup Grated carrots
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Thompson Raisins
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups Non-gluten flour blend
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Almond Flour
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- In a small bowl whisk the flax meal and water together until it resembles the texture of a beaten egg.
- In a large bowl mix the milk and vinegar together and set aside to curdle, this will only take about 5 minutes.
- When the milk has curdled add the sugars, vanilla extract, grated apples (squeeze most of the liquid out before adding), grated carrots, raisins, chopped walnuts and mix well. Then add the flax meal mixture and the melted coconut oil and mix again.
- In a medium sized bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the almond flour and mix well.
- Next add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently fold them together with a wooden spoon or spatula until just mixed, do not over mix.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin pan and bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Test the muffins are fully cooked by inserting a wooden skewer into the middle. If it does not come out clean then put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes and test again.
- When fully cooked, allow to cool in the muffin pan for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Tips & Techniques