Basic Vanilla Frosting
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Use this soft, fluffy frosting to top your favourite cupcakes, to decorate birthday cakes and you can even use it as the filling for Nanaimo bars or to make sandwich cookies.
- 1 cup Butter (regular or dairy free)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups Anita's Organic cups icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract or the seeds from 2 vanilla beans
- 4 to 6 tbsp Milk (regular or dairy free)
- In a stand mixture beat together the butter and or shortening until soft and fluffy.
- Slowly add the sifted icing sugar ½ a cup at a time and beat into the butter mixture. Stop to scrape down the sides often. Keep adding the icing sugar until all is fully incorporated (add a little milk when it starts to get too stiff).
- Add the vanilla extract and a little more milk if needed and beat the mixture for 5 to 7 minutes until soft, light and fluffy.
Substitutions *You can also use 1 cup vegetable shortening; or 1/2 cup butter + 1/2 cup shortening, room temp Simple Variations Lemon or Lime: add the zest of 2 lemons (or limes) to the mixture and use lemon juice instead of milk. Orange: add the zest of 2 oranges and use fresh orange juice instead of milk. Chocolate: Replace 3/4 cup of icing sugar with 3/4 cocoa powder. Mint: Replace the vanilla extract with 2 to 3 tsp mint extract. Add a little green food colouring if preferred. Strawberry or Raspberry: replace milk with 1/4 cup pureed, fresh berries
Tips & Techniques