Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Cookies and ice cream are a fabulous treat any time of the year but in the summertime, they are even better. These Spelt Flour Cookies are great for ice cream sandwiches and are dairy and egg free too. To make them nut free simply replace the almond flour with oat flour for some extra oaty goodness.
- 1/2 cup Vegan/non-dairy butter
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1-2 tsp Vanilla extract (depending on potency)
- 3/4 cup Anita’s Organic Stone Ground Spelt Flour
- 1 cup Spelt flakes or rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Flax Meal
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Chocolate Chips
- To taste Non-dairy ice cream (flavour of choice)
- To taste Melted chocolate
- To taste Chopped nuts, coconut or sprinkles
- Line 2 x baking trays with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and non-dairy butter until soft and fluffy. You can do this in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment if desired or just use a wooden spoon. Add the water and vanilla extract and mix again.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the flours, flax meal, flakes, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
- Scoop 1.5 tablespoon amounts of cookie batter and roll into balls. Place evenly on the trays and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden edges but soft chewy centre. Leave them on the tray to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
To make ice cream sandwich cookies:
- Once fully cooled place ¼ cup of your favourite dairy free ice cream (slightly softened) between 2 cookies and press together. Place in the freezer for the ice cream to re-set. For an extra chocolate treat, dip half of the assembled ice cream sandwich cookie into melted chocolate and then into coconut or chopped nuts. Place back in the freezer until set.
To create a perfectly smooth ice cream centre, try rolling the ice cream between two pieces of parchment paper, refreeze. Then cut out circles of ice cream (the same size as the cookies) with a cookie cutter. Sandwich the ice cream between 2 cookies and dip in melted chocolate if required.
Tips & Techniques