Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Millionaire’s Shortbread is a rich, decadent layered treat that consists of a buttery shortbread layer, a dreamy caramel layer and topped off with super smooth chocolate. For an extra bit of pizzazz try a little sprinkle of flaked salt or chopped nuts on the top.
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose White Flour
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 3/4 cup Regular or non-dairy butter, cold
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Maple syrup, dark
- 3/4 cup Coconut butter, warmed until liquid
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Anita's Organic Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Oil
- Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, sugar & salt. Drop teaspoon size pieces of butter into the flour mixture. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter work the butter into the flour until it is fully incorporated and resembles wet sand. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down firmly to form an even layer. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the caramel layer.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the melted coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Spread the caramel mixture over the top of the crust and place the pan in the fridge to allow the caramel layer to set.
- Melt the chocolate chips and the teaspoon of oil together, mix until smooth and then spread evenly over the top of the caramel layer. Place back in the fridge for an hour until fully set. Cut into 16 pieces.
Tips & Techniques