Fruit & Nut Emmer Cookies
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Have your fruit and eat your cookies too with this delicious sweet and nutty cookie recipe. Cram packed full of dried fruits and chopped nuts it’s a winning combination. If you don’t have any of our Emmer Flour then just use Fine Grind (or Sprouted) Spelt or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour instead.
- 2 tbsp Anita's Organic Flax Meal
- 5 tbsp Water
- 1 3/4 cups Anita's Organic Spelt Flakes
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Emmer Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Brown or Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder (or 1 tsp extract or seeds scraped from 1 whole vanilla bean)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Brazil Nuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup Anita’s Organic Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Currant Raisins
- 2 tbsp Hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup Organic coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp Maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper - set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal, water and set aside to thicken (will have the consistency of an egg).
- In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flakes, emmer flour, spelt flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, vanilla powder, cinnamon, dried fruit, chopped nuts and hemp seed (any combination of fruit & nuts can be used).
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and flax meal mixture. Stir well until fully incorporated. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- When the mixture has cooled take tablespoon size amounts of the dough and roll into balls (2 tbsp to make large cookie - to yield 12 or 1 tbsp to make smaller cookies - to yield 24). Place on the lined trays and flatten slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes (a little less for smaller cookies) until golden around the edges.
- Remove from tray and place on a wire rack to cool fully.
Tips & Techniques