Double Chocolate Sprouted Spelt Cookies
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delicious favourite of many but they are 'choc' full (did you see what we did there?) of sugar, butter and eggs which make for a fabulous cookie but may not always be suitable for some. Here we have used our Sprouted Spelt Flour to give a nice whole grain texture and calmed down the sugar & fat a little. These cookies are a little more wholesome and heartier though definitely should still be considered an occasional treat.
- 2 tbsp Flax meal
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sunflower oil
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 1/2 cup All Purpose White Spelt – or more Sprouted Spelt for 100% whole grain cookie
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal and water, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Add the flax meal and water mixture and mix everything well. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium size bowl sift together the spelt flours, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in the salt.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until all the flour has been incorporated. Add a little milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Scoop 1 ½ tablespoon amounts of the cookie batter and roll into balls. Place the balls onto the cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake in the centre of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy on the outside but still soft in the middle. Allow to cool on the cookie sheets for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool fully.
Tips & Techniques