Almond & Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookies
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
These bitesize morsels of goodness will not disappoint. Buckwheat has a delicious nutty flavour which marries really well with the almond flour. The cookies have a comforting nutty flavour and are soft and chewy to boot. If you use a nice tart jam such as raspberry or maybe even a nice lemon curd you will get a lovely, wholesome, sweet/tart cookie to enjoy.
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Light Buckwheat or Sprouted Buckwheat Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Anita's Organic Almond Flour
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Flax meal
- 4 tbsp Water
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 2 tbsp Milk (if needed)
- As needed, Jam of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the buckwheat flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together, the flax meal and water until thick. Add the coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the wet mixture. Mix everything together to form a smooth cookie dough, add milk if the mixture is a little dry.
- Scoop out 1 ½ tablespoon amounts of the cookie dough and roll into balls. Place the cookie balls on the baking sheets about an inch apart. Use your thumb to press an indent into the middle of each cookie and fill this with a little jam.
- Bake the cookies in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly golden around the edges. Once cooked leave the cookies on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
Tips & Techniques