Vanilla Berry Cake
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
This delicate vanilla cake has a definite hint of summer about it. It is light and airy and just waiting for you to fancy it up however you want. You can make it as simple or as elaborate as you like. For a simple cake just fill the cake with your favourite jam and dust the top with icing sugar. Or for a more elaborate cake any combination of jam, whipped cream/whipped coconut cream, vanilla frosting and fresh berries make for a delicious tea-time treat.
- 1 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Gluten Free All-Purpose Mix
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Guar gum or xantham gum
- 1 1/2 cups Non-dairy milk (or regular)
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 2/3 cup Neutral oil (sunflower, safflower etc.)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease and line, with parchment paper, 2 x 8” round cake pans.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together the All-Purpose Gluten Free Mix, baking powder, baking soda and guar/xantham gum. Stir in the salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and allow it to curdle. This will take about 5 minutes. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter will be quite wet so allow it to stand for about 10 to 15 minutes to thicken up. Divide equally between the two-lined cake pans and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake to check fully cooked. Do not over bake. When ready remove from the oven and allow to cool down in the pans for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the cakes from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Once cool decorate as you wish. For a simple cake just fill the cake with your favourite jam and dust the top with icing sugar. Or for a more elaborate cake any combination of jam, whipped cream/whipped coconut cream, vanilla frosting and fresh berries make for a delicious tea-time treat.
- Whipped cream, coconut cream or vanilla frosting
- Fresh Berries
Tips & Techniques