Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Gingerbread Cookies are always a winner but what about a Gingerbread Cake? This cake is rich, moist and packed full of gingery goodness. Enjoy warm from the oven with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Coconut Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened, plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Organic black strap molasses*
- 1 tbsp Fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup Candied ginger, chopped finely
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose White Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease and line, with parchment paper an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the coconut sugar, yogurt, oil, water, molasses and grated ginger. Stir in the chopped candied ginger.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together the flours and baking powder. Stir in the spices and salt until everything is evenly mixed.
- Add the dry mix to the wet, a little at a time, until all the flour is fully incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the centre of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Insert a wooden skewer or toothpick into the centre of the cake to test it is cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes and then remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve the gingerbread cake while still warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a sprinkle of more chopped candied ginger.
*We use Wholesome Sweetener Organic Blackstrap Molasses which has a very strong flavour. If using a ‘fancy molasses’ or lighter version you may wish to increase the amount by a couple more tablespoons.
Tips & Techniques