Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
These vanilla frosted chocolate cupcakes are delicious, easy to make, dairy free and egg free - A perfect treat for a special celebration!
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup Neutral oil (sunflower/canola/extra light olive oil)
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Emmer Flour or Spelt Fine Grind Flour or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose White Flour (or All Purpose White Spelt Flour)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy 'butter' or regular, room temp.
- 1/2 cup Vegetable shortening, room temp
- 3 1/2 cups Icing sugar, sifted
- 1 Vanilla bean, split lengthways and remove the seeds
- 2 to 4 tbsp Non-dairy or regular milk
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together the milk and vinegar, set aside to curdle for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the milk and stir well.
- In another bowl sift together the cocoa powder, flours, baking soda and baking powder. Add the salt and mix well.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture ½ cup at a time. Gently mix the flour in with a balloon whisk until all the flour is fully incorporated, to make a smooth batter.
- Fill each paper liner ¾ full and bake in the oven for 20 to 22 minutes. Insert a wooden toothpick in the centre of the cupcake to test it is done. The toothpick should be clean when removed.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the tray for about 10 minutes and then move them to a wire rack to finish cooling. When fully cooled decorate with frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a stand mixture beat together the ‘butter’ and shortening until soft and fluffy. Slowly add the sifted icing sugar ½ a cup at a time and beat into the butter mixture. Stop to scrape down the sides often. Keep adding the icing sugar until all is fully incorporated (add a little milk when it starts to get too stiff). Slice the vanilla bean along its length and carefully scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Add the vanilla seeds to the mixture and mix well. Add more milk if needed and beat the mixture for 5 to 7 minutes until soft, light and fluffy.
Tips & Techniques