Apple & Pear Cake with Cinnamon Frosting
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Desserts for the holidays are always very important here in the Anita's test kitchen. We are blessed to have so many different organic flours and baking ingredients to play with, that it's sometimes very hard to decide on which recipes to showcase. Every member of staff has a favorite dessert, often bound in family traditions, which invoke wonderful memories of good times and good cheer. This delicious Apple Pear Cake is made with one of our favorite flours – Spelt. It pairs extremely well with the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. Or the cake can also be eaten as it is, warm from the oven with some whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream. For extra decadence try a little drizzle of your favorite caramel sauce. This recipe can easily be adapted to be dairy free by using dairy free/vegan yogurt and cream cheese. Oh - and if you are a nut free household, just leave them out. Enjoy. Happy Holidays!
- 1 cup Tart apples, grated & squeezed to remove most of the juice
- 1 cup Pear, grated & squeezed to remove most of the juice
- 2 tbsp Ground flax meal
- 4 tbsp Water
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened yogurt (regular or dairy free)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Fine Grind Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Cranberries
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup Butter (regular or dairy free)
- 1/2 cup Cream cheese (regular or dairy free)
- 2 cups Anita's Organic Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apples, pears, flax meal, water, sugars, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet apple mixture and stir until just combined. Add in the chopped nuts and cranberries and fold them into the mixture.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake the cake in the center of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Insert a wooden skewer or toothpick into the center of the cake to make sure it is fully cooked. If the stick comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes then carefully remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
- While the cake is cooling make the frosting. Place all the frosting ingredients into mixer and whisk until smooth, soft and fluffy. Keep refrigerated until required. Once the cake has cooled spread the frosting over the top.
Tips & Techniques