Ancient Grain Mocha Cake
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Incorporating Ancient Grains into your diet is always a good thing and what better way than wrapped up in a chocolate cake. Here we use Spelt and Kamut Flours to make this one. Cover it in the mocha fudge sauce and decorate with a handful of your favourite chopped nuts.
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/3 cup Sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (or 1/2 tsp vanilla powder)
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Kamut Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Finely ground coffee beans
- 3/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Mocha Fudge Sauce
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk (full fat organic, shake can well)
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Chocolate Chips
- 2 tsp Unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tsp Finely ground coffee beans
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder
- 1-2 pinches Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly oil an 8-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the non-dairy milk and vinegar together and set aside to curdle for a few minutes. Add the oil, sugar, and vanilla. Stir well.
- In a medium size bowl sift together the flours, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in the finely ground coffee and salt.
- Add the dry mix to the wet a little at a time. Mix together gently making sure there are no lumps of the flour mixture left, use a whisk if necessary.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Check the cake is done by inserting a wooden skewer/toothpick into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes in the pan before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- While the cake is cooling make the Mocha Fudge Sauce.
Mocha Fudge Sauce
- In a small heavy based pan, place all of the sauce ingredients. Turn the heat on very low and keep stirring until everything melts together and a silky, smooth sauce is formed. Do not allow to burn!
- Use as much or as little of the sauce over the cake as you wish. Top with chopped walnuts and serve.
Store any leftover sauce in the fridge and use on an ice cream sundae!
Tips & Techniques