Red Fife Breakfast Berry Salad
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Are you looking for a nutritious, filling breakfast which is easy to make and delicious to boot? Make this dish at the weekend and then you'll have enough for the whole week. Wheat grain (berry) salads are all the rage right now and quite rightly so. This breakfast version is no exception and just perfect to keep you full until lunchtime. Serve with your favourite vanilla yoghurt and some fresh fruit.
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Red Fife Kernels (grains/berries) - or Hard Red, Soft White, Einkorn, Spelt or Emmer
- 5 cups Water
- 1 cups Walnuts (or other nuts of choice), chopped
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 Apple, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Shredded Coconut or Coconut Chips, toasted
- Juice of 1 Freshly squeezed orange
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Place the Red Fife Kernels into a sieve and rinse under cold, running water. Pour the 5 cups of water into a medium sized pan and add the rinsed kernels. Place the pan on the stove and bring the water to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer the kernels for 40 to 50 minutes until cooked. Strain them and set aside to cool. This can be done ahead of time, as the grains need to be cold to assemble the salad.
- Once the grains are cold place them into a large bowl. Add the chopped nuts, cranberries, blueberries, apple, coconut and stir together.
- In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice, maple syrup and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the grains and toss everything together. Taste and add more cinnamon or maple syrup if desired. Serve with fresh fruit and yoghurt if desired.
Tips & Techniques