Spelt & Barley, Chili, Cheese and Herb Crock Pot Bread
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Oh, my stars – this bread is just divine. Proofing it and baking it in the crockpot all at the same time creates such a delicious, soft texture it is perfect for dunking in soups and stews. Not only is it delicious its simple to make as well. To serve, spread with a little butter and off you go. Warm, comforting with a dash of spice and perfect for those chilly fall evenings.
- 2 cups Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Stone Ground Spelt Flour
- 3/4 cup Anita’s Organic Barley Flour
- 2 tsp Yeast
- 2 tsp Dried parsley
- 1 tsp Dried marjoram
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Warm water
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated (regular or non-dairy)
- As desired Olive oil for brushing
- As desired Flaked salt for sprinkling
- Add all the dry ingredients, in the order listed, into the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Set the mixer onto slow speed until the dry ingredients are evenly mixed. Add the oil and water to the bowl and allow the mixer to knead the dough for a minute and then add the cheese. Let the mixer continue to knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic which will take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a round boule. Place the boule into a parchment lined, 3 to 4-quart crock pot. Bake on high for 2 hours.
- Once cooked remove from the pot and place onto a lined baking tray. Brush the top of the loaf with a little olive oil and sprinkle with flaked sea salt and a little more cheese if desired. Place under the broiler to brown the top pf the loaf – keep an eye on it and do not allow it to burn.
If you do not wish to use a crockpot make the dough as instructed. Once kneaded, cover the bowl and allow the dough to proof until doubled in volume. This will take about 1 to 2 hours. Once doubled remove from the bowl and place onto a lightly floured work surface. Shape and place into a proofing basket and let rise again. Retard (refrigerate) the dough for 30 mins and heat oven to 450F. After 30 minutes turn the dough onto a parchment lined baking tray, slash the top and bake for 35 minutes with steam.
Tips & Techniques