Spelt Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins or Bread
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
You may have noticed we love our Spelt Flour. It is so versatile and incredibly popular with staff and customers alike. Any excuse to use it we are on it! Here we have used a mixture of our Fine Grind Spelt and All Purpose White Spelt Flours. You can also use our Sprouted Spelt Flour for even more nutrition. Too much white flour in this recipe? Don’t worry – just reduce it. The texture may be a little denser but boy – its still good. Banana Muffins and Banana Bread can do no wrong.
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds
- 2 tbsp Water
- 4 Ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup Neutral Tasting Oil (Safflower/Sunflower Etc.)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Cane Sugar (Or Coconut Sugar or Muscovado Sugar for Unrefined Option)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder (Or 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract)
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Spelt Flour, Fine Grind (Or Sprouted) Or Emmer Flour
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Spelt All Purpose White Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (for muffins) or 350˚F (for loaf). If making muffins line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases. For the loaf, grease and line, with parchment paper, an 8 x 4 loaf pan.
- In a small bowl mix together, the chia seeds and water. Let stand for a few minutes and then whisk mixture until it’s gloopy like a beaten egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Stir in the oil, water, sugar and vanilla. Add the chia seed mixture and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- In a medium sized bowl sift the flours, baking soda and salt together. Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until just combined (do not over mix).
- If making muffins scoop 1/4 cup amounts of the batter into the cases (this mixture may make a couple of extra muffins) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a skewer/tooth pick into the center to make sure they are fully cooked.
- If making the loaf, pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until an inserted skewer/toothpick comes out clean. If still wet in the center place back in the oven at 5-minute intervals until fully cooked.
- Remove the muffins from the tin after 5 minutes and allow to cool fully on a wire rack. Allow the loaf to cool for about 20 minutes in the pan before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool fully.
Tips & Techniques