Pumpkin Cranberry Loaf
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
This delicious quick bread is packed full of fall flavours and a perfect seasonal treat. Enjoy a slice of this bread with a light spread of dairy free (or regular) butter. We use our Spelt Flour in this recipe but you can also use Whole Wheat Pastry or Einkorn Flour too.
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped finely
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup Neutral tasting oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Fresh orange juice
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup Anita’s Organic Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Anita's Organic Fine Grind Spelt Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin spice
- 3/4 cup Anita’s Organic Dried Cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Oil and line, with parchment paper, a standard size loaf pan (usually 9 x 5 or 8.5 x 4.5 inch). Set aside.
- Place the pumpkin seeds and chopped walnuts on a tray and toast in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until toasty. This can also be done in a dry pan over a low heat on the stove top. Do not allow to burn. Remove from the heat/oven and transfer to a bowl to cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree; water; oil; orange juice; orange zest; vanilla extract; and sugars.
- In a medium size bowl sift together the spelt flour; baking powder; baking soda and pumpkin spice. Add the salt and mix well.
- Add the cranberries and ¾ of the toasted walnut/pumpkin seed mix (set the rest aside for later) to the wet mixture. Stir well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, ½ cup at a time. Mix well but do not over mix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with the remaining toasted pumpkin seed/ walnut mixture. Press down lightly so they stick to the top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf in the center of the oven for 40 to 50 minutes. This is a thick loaf so may take a little longer. To test if the loaf is cooked through insert a wooden skewer into the center. If the batter is still wet and sticks to the skewer return to the oven at 5-minute intervals until the skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the loaf to cool down in the pan for 30 minutes. Once cooled, remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
Tips & Techniques