Pear Spice Loaf
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Richly spiced and featuring Anita’s Sprouted Whole Grain Spelt, this loaf is perfect for fall. It features toasted pecans and hazelnuts, the rich tang of cultured cream and natural coconut sugar for sweetener. To make the Kefir cultured cream look for a powdered Kefir starter and follow the package directions for culturing, substituting heavy cream for milk.
For the loaf:
- 1/2 cup Kefir cultured cream or creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup Whole milk
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 Firm pears
- 1 cup Anita’s All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Anita’s Sprouted Whole Grain Spelt
- 2/3 cup Coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground star anise
- 1/3 cup Toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Several untoasted pecan halves
- 1 tsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 3 tbsp Melted butter
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp Ground star anise
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Butter a 9x5 loaf pan. Cut out a rectangular strip of parchment the inside dimensions of the bottom of your pan and line the pan with it. Butter the parchment and flour the pan by adding a small about of flour to the pan, rotating the pan to cover the bottom and sides with flour, and knocking out the excess flour on the counter.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cream, milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Slice the sides off of each pear (don’t peel the pear) leaving a 2cm thick cross section of the center including the core. Slice the core section into 3 pieces, remove the seeds and set aside to top the loaves. Coarsely grate the rest of the pear on a box grater and add to the cream mixture.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix just until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Spread the cross section slices of pear across the top and press halfway into the batter. Sprinkle the pears with 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Press the pecan halves into the batter not covered by the pears.
- Bake at 350˚F for 60-70 minutes until the pears are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The internal temperature at the center should read 200˚F when done.
- While the loaf is baking prepare the glaze. Whisk glaze ingredients in a small skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the glaze over the loaf as soon as it comes out of the oven, taking care to fully cover the pear slices on the top.
- Cool fully in the pan before removing.
To make this gluten free substitute 2 cups of Anita’s All Purpose Gluten Free flour for the All Purpose and Spelt flours and add 1 tsp of xanthan gum.
Tips & Techniques