Bumble Berry Lemon Loaf
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
The humble bumble berry – where do you find them? It wasn’t until recently that I learned that there is no such thing as a bumble berry, it is simply a mixture of seasonal berries. The combinations are entirely up to the baker, time of year and or the contents of the fridge/freezer. Use your favourite berries in this delicious loaf (maybe not strawberries as they can be very watery) to create your own version.
- 3/4 cup Non-dairy or regular milk
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Lemon extract (or more vanilla extract)
- 1 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Fine Grind Spelt Flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Mixed frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease and line with parchment paper an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the milk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle.
- Once the milk mixture has curdled mix in the oil, sugars and vanilla extract (and lemon extract if using).
- In a medium size bowl sift together the flours and baking powder. Stir in the salt and then add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. Stir together gently until just mixed.
- Finally add the fruit to the batter and fold in. Transfer the batter to the lined loaf pan and bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For optional lemon drizzle: Mix together ½ cup icing sugar and a few teaspoons of lemon juice. Drizzle over cake when cold.
Tips & Techniques