The Okanagan is famous for its beautiful cherries and we are lucky to live only a few hours from the cherry capital of British Columbia. This is a fabulous recipe to showcase these fleeting, seasonal beauties. Fresh cherries in a muffin - what more could you ask for.
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Neutral tasting oil (Canola, Coconut, Grape Seed, Sunflower, Etc.)
- 1/4 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder (Or 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract)
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose White Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen (Or Fresh) cherries, halved
Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
In a medium sized bowl mix the milk and vinegar together and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. When ready, mix in the oil, apple sauce and vanilla extract (powder).
Sift the flours and baking powder into a large bowl and add the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet mixture.
Gently mix the wet and dry together until just mixed. Add the chocolate chips and cherries and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared liners and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Allow to cool on a wire rack.