Coffee and bran muffins what better way to start your day! Oh wait, these ones are not only dairy free but gluten free too. Oh yes – let's get this breakfast party started. Not too sweet with a hint of spice and a delicate crunch from the walnuts. Perfect – now where’s that coffee?
- 1 1/2 cups Anita's Organic All-Purpose Gluten Free Mix
- 1/3 cup Tapioca starch
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (or use 2 tsp pumpkin spice instead of these 3)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Almond Flour
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Oat Bran
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Flax meal or chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup Non-dairy milk (or regular)
- 3/4 cup Non-dairy unsweetened, plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp Molasses (optional)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Anita's Organic Thompson Raisins or Sultanas
- 1/2 cup Walnuts or pecans chopped finely
Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper liners.
In a large bowl sift together the gluten free mix, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in the salt, almond flour, oat bran and sugar.
In a medium size bowl or jug whisk together the flax meal (or chia seeds) and water. Whisk until gelatinous. Add the oil, milk, yogurt, molasses and vanilla extract and mix well.
Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in the wet. Gently mix together until almost combined. Add the raisins and chopped walnuts and mix again until fully incorporated but do not over mix. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until and toothpick comes out clean.