Zesty and sweet these muffins can be enjoyed anytime of the year, but they do have a little bit of a festive feel about them. Fresh (or frozen) cranberries give these muffins a great ‘pop’ of tartness but if they are out of season or unavailable then, dried will do the trick. For an extra bit of special pizazz add a drizzle of orange glaze to the tops.
- 2 cups Anita's Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2/3 cups Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp Non-alum baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Fresh organic orange juice
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp Orange zest
- 2 tbsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond extract
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Dried Cranberries (or 1 ½ cups fresh)
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Walnuts or Pecans, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in the sugar, salt and then make a well in the center.
Add the orange juice, oil, extracts and orange zest to the well and mix gently until fully incorporated. If the batter thickens too much add an extra tablespoon or 2 of orange juice. Finally add the cranberries and chopped nuts and gently mix together.
Fill the muffin liners (about ¾ full) and bake for 25 minutes.
Insert a wooden toothpick into the center of the muffins to test if they are fully cooked. The muffin should be lightly golden and the toothpick should come out clean. Allow to cool for a few and then move to a cooling rack to cool down further.