- In a heavy based pan, gently toast the pecans until lightly toasted.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and line an 8 x 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- If the dates are not already soft (Medjool Dates are usually the softest type of date) mix them with the coconut milk in a medium sized pan and heat gently for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients. Skip this step if you have nice soft dates.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil; brown rice syrup and brown sugar until soft and fluffy. Add the date and milk mixture and stir well.
- Add the pecans; flour; baking soda; cinnamon; salt and gently fold together until just mixed. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Prepare the toffee sauce by whisking together the sauce ingredients in a pan and simmer over a low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently to make sure that the sauce does not burn.
- To serve – slice the cake while still warm and serve with toffee sauce, a sprinkling of toasted pecans and maybe even some whipped coconut cream.