- In a spice grinder, finely grind all of the spices and then sift.
- Cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer in a medium bowl.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spice mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix just until fully incorporated.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerating the dough overnight will allow the spices more time to permeate the dough.
For Spekulaas in a Speculaasplank
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Dust the mold with rice flour.
- Press a thin layer of dough into the mold.
- Using a sharp knife carefully cut the dough level with the top of the mold. It helps to keep some pressure on the dough ahead of the knife to keep the dough from being pulled from the mold.
- Knock the dough out onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. If your mold is new, expect that the first few cookies might not come free very easily!
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the colour just begins to darken.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
Speculaas without a mold:
- Roll the dough to ¼”.
- Using a cookie cutter or a knife, cut cookies into desired shapes.
- Optionally you can roll sugar into the tops, or brush with egg white and press sliced almonds into the tops.
- Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- These cookies are a bit thicker so extend the bake time to 15-17 minutes.
- Roll the dough into several ½” thick logs. Cut off ½” segments from the logs and roll into balls.
- Place the balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes.