- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease 2 x 7” round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. For a sheet cake use a 9 x 12-inch pan instead.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir in the sugars, coconut, chopped nuts and raisins until everything is evenly combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add the grated carrots, oil, yogurt, milk & vanilla extract.
- Mix everything together with a wooden spoon or spatula, until evenly combined. Scrape the cake batter into the lined pans and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. (30 to 40 minutes if baking in a sheet pan).
- Test the cakes are cooked by inserting a wooden toothpick into the centre of each cake. The toothpick should come out clean. If not return to the oven in 5-minute increments until fully cooked. When ready remove from the oven and allow to cool down in the pans for 30 minutes. Then remove the cakes from the pans and transfer them to a wire rack until fully cooled.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- While the cakes are cooling prepare the frosting. Place all the frosting ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand-held whisk) and whisk until smooth, soft and fluffy. Keep refrigerated until required.
Assemble the Cake
- To assemble the cake spread some of the cream cheese frosting onto one of the cakes and place the second cake on top. Spread more frosting on the top and decorate with whole or chopped walnuts/pecans if required.