Rhubarb Crumble Pie
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Pie and crumble – two fabulous desserts combined here into one. The vibrant pink hues of the rhubarb poke through the buttery crumble topping to say hi! Here we have used our new Bakers Blend 60/40 Flour which is a great combination of our Organic All Purpose Flour along with Sprouted Spelt Flour, Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour and Sprouted Rye Flour.
- 1 1/2 cups Anita’s Organic Bakers Blend 60/40
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cups Coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Ice water (added 1 tbsp at a time)
- 750g (approx. 5 cups) Rhubarb, chopped into ¼ inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup Anita’s Organic Bakers Blend 60/40
- 1/3 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Shredded Coconut
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- Grease a 9- or 10-inch pie plate and preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Drop teaspoon size pieces of the coconut oil and work into the flour with your fingertips or a pastry cutter. Work the oil in until the mixture resembles wet sand. Stir the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, into the dry mixture until a dough is formed. Work the dough into a ball and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out dough until it is about an inch or two bigger than the pie plate. Line the pie plate with the dough and trim off the excess edges. Place the pie crust in the fridge while you prep filling.
- In a large bowl mix all of the filling ingredients together until fully incorporated. Spoon the mixture into the chilled pie crust and place back in the fridge while you make the crumble. topping.
- In a medium sized bowl mix, all of the dry crumble topping ingredients together. Slowly drizzle the coconut oil into the dry mix and stir with a fork until the oil is fully incorporated into the dry mix. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the rhubarb filling. Place the pie in the center of the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 400˚F. After 20 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 350˚F and bake for another 40 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Techniques