No Sugar Energy Bars
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
There is no added fat or sugar in these tasty energy bars, just simple, wholesome flavours. The natural sweetness is derived from pureeing dried apricots and dates to create a thick, paste. This is then used to bind together all the other ingredients.... simple! These bars can be easily adapted to accommodate allergies and make them school safe. Perfect for lunch, breakfast, after school, after practice or even after the gym. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Rolled or Quick Oats
- 1 cup Walnuts, chopped (or other nut/seed of choice)
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup Anita's Organic Medjool Dates, pits removed
- 3/4 cup Anita’s Organic Turkish Apricots
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Water (divided)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Anita’s Organic Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/3 cup Hemp seeds
- 1 cup Dried fruit (we used a mixture or cranberries, raisins and chopped prunes)
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat groats
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the oats, chopped walnuts and pumpkin seeds on the lined baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly toasted. When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with parchment and set aside.
- Place the dates, apricots, vanilla extract and the ¼ cup of water into a food processor and blend until smooth. Stop the food processor from time to time to scrape down the sides. If the mixture is too thick add the other 2 tbsp of water and blend until smooth.
- Scrape the apricot and date mixture into a large bowl. Add the toasted oats, nut and seed mixture along with the remaining ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is fully combined, use your hands if necessary. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Allow the bars to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Once fully cooled cut into 10 large or 20 small bars.
Tips & Techniques