Classic Shortbread Cookies
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
There are many variations on shortbread. Some recipes call for icing sugar, some for granulated sugar, some use corn starch and others use rice flour. This is recipe is a classic, and is sure to please.
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup Cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Corn starch
- 1 cup Anita's Organic All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Anita’s Organic Cake and Pastry Flour
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment.
- Combine the sugars and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a medium bowl with a hand mixer. Cream for 3-4 minutes on medium high or until the colour has become very pale and the mixture is very light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, starch and salt into the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan.
- Prick the top of the dough in 6-7 rows approximately ¾" wide with a fork or wooden skewer.
- Chill the dough for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Bake on the center rack for 35-40 minutes or until pale golden brown.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan. While they’re still warm, cut the cookies into rows and then cut each row into three segments. Cool them completely on a wire rack.
Tips & Techniques