Blueberry & Coconut Crumble Bars
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
One of our favourite recipes here at Anita's are these delicious crumble bars. Great for breakfast, for dessert and even with your morning coffee. Feel free to change up the berries in this recipe to whatever is available. Frozen berries work well too, so you can enjoy these bars all year round.
- 1 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Rolled Oats
- 1 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Anita’s Organic Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (or Coconut Chips)
- 3/4 cup Non-dairy or regular butter, cold
- 3 cups Frozen organic blueberries
- 1 tbsp Organic corn starch (arrowroot or tapioca starch also works well)
- 2 tbsp Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour; oats; sugar; and coconut. Cut the butter or non-dairy alternative into smallish pieces and with your fingers (or a pastry cutter) work the butter into the dry mix until it resembles wet sand. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture and pour the rest into the prepared pan. Push the mixture down firmly and smooth out the layer as much as possible. Place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until it is lightly golden around the edges.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the blueberries; starch; 2 tbsp. of sugar and lemon juice. The lemon juice will help the starch to stick to the berries and create a little sauce. When the cooking time on the base is up add the berry mixture to the pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the remaining base mixture evenly over the top of the blueberry mixture and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool fully before cutting into bars. Makes 8 large or 16 small bars.
Tips & Techniques