Beer Battered Ancient Grain French Toast
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
We love to re-purpose our mixes to make new and exciting recipes but sometimes simplicity is the best. Here we took our Ancient Grain Pancake Mix and used it to make a delicious beer batter for French Toast. A good tasting beer adds a delicious richness to the French Toast but you can sub it for sparkling water instead.
- 2 cups Anita's Organic Ancient Grain Pancake Mix
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder (or 1 tsp extract)
- 2 tbsp Neutral tasting oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Non-dairy milk (or regular)
- 355 ml Can of beer (not too hoppy) (sub for sparkling water for a child-friendly version)
- 8 slices Day old sourdough bread
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- 1 cup Fresh blueberries (please note frozen blueberries can be used but they must be thawed and any liquid strained off before adding to the mixture)
- 1 tsp Maple syrup
- In a large bowl whisk together the pancake mix, cinnamon and vanilla powder.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in the maple syrup, neutral tasting oil, milk and beer. Whisk the mixture together until smooth.
- Leave the batter to stand for 10 minutes while you make the Blueberry Compote.
- In a small, heavy based pan mix the blueberries and the maple syrup together. Over a low heat allow the blueberries to heat through and release their juices. The compote should thicken up as it cools but if you like a thicker, saucier mixture add a little corn starch (or arrowroot) mixed with a small amount of water to help thicken.
- Preheat a heavy bottomed fry pan or griddle with a little coconut oil over a medium heat until hot.
- Dip 2 slices of bread into the batter mixture until fully coated. Drop onto fry pan or griddle and gently fry each side for 3 minutes – until the batter is cooked through and you have a nice, crispy golden crust. Keep warm in a warming oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the rest of the bread slices until they are all cooked.
- Serve with the Blueberry Compote, Fresh Berries, drizzled with Maple Syrup or Coconut Nectar. Serve warm.
Tips & Techniques