Sprouted Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
One of our favourite bread recipes here at Anita's Organic is this Sprouted Whole Wheat Sourdough recipe. Made from a blend of our All Purpose White Flour and Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour. This recipe takes 3 days to ferment so plan ahead and enjoy!
- 75 g Anita's Unbleached White Flour
- 75 g Anita’s Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- 25 g Mature 100% hydration sourdough starter
- 150 ml Water
- 300 g Anita's Unbleached White Flour
- 300 g Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- 380 ml Water
- 15 g Salt
- Combine the white flour, sprouted whole wheat flour, starter and water and mix until no dry bits of flour remain. Cover the dough in a container or mixing bowl and allow it to ferment at room temperature for 12-16 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients and knead the dough by hand for approx. 8-12 min until the dough becomes smooth and cohesive. If using a stand mixer mix on low speed for 4 minutes and then on second speed for 4-6 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Allow to rest and ferment for 2.5 hours, gently folding after one hour. To fold the dough, reach under one side of the dough, gently pull it up and fold it back over the top of the dough. Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat. Repeat two more times until you have gone all the way around the dough.
- After 2 hours of fermentation, divide the dough in two pieces (650g each) and preshape in a light ball. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes
- Shape the dough into a boule or oblong, place in a proofing basket or between the layers of a couche, loosely cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, allow it to come back to room temperature (1-2 hrs) and proof until a dent made by a floured finger slowly springs back but not quite all the way.
- Score the dough and bake on a pizza stone or in a Dutch oven at 450˚F for 30-40 min until dark brown. If using a Dutch oven, preheat the pan and remove the lid after 20 minutes of baking.
Tips & Techniques