Sprouted Spelt Cinnamon Maple Rolls
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
If you were told you could only ever eat one type of sweet treat ever again what would you choose? It would have to be something you could never get bored of and for many it would be the Cinnamon Roll. There is something quintessentially satisfying about these gooey, pillowy morsels of loveliness that nothing else quite gets close to. Not quite breakfast, nor are they a dessert but they are definitely a delight every time.
- 1/2 cup Warm water
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup, dark
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2/3 cup Milk, warmed
- 2 1/2 cups Anita's Organic All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Anita's Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour
- 2 1/4 tsp Yeast
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter or non-dairy alternative
- 1/4 cup Anita's Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 tbsp Anita's Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Anita's Organic Icing Sugar
- Splash of Milk
- 1/2 cup Pecan, chopped
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment mix the water, maple syrup, oil, and warm milk together. In a separate bowl whisk together the flours, cinnamon, and yeast. Stir in the salt. With the mixer running on slow add the flour mixture to the wet mixture ½ cup at a time until all the flour has been added. Let the mixer knead the dough for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it pulls away from the bowl. The dough should be smooth and just a little sticky. Don’t add any extra flour unless the mixture is too sticky to handle. Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover and allow to proof (rise) in a warm spot until doubled in volume.
- While the dough is rising prepare the filling by mixing the butter, sugars, cinnamon and flour together until soft & creamy. Also make the glaze by mixing the icing sugar with a little milk to produce a smooth glaze. Lightly oil a 9 x 12-inch pan.
- When the dough has doubled lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the dough into a 12 x 18-inch rectangle. Gently spread the filling over the surface leaving a ½ inch gap along one long edge. Brush the edge without the filling on with a little water. If you want to add the optional raisins & chopped pecans sprinkle them over the top. Roll up the dough from the opposite long edge to form a long roll. Cut into equal pieces and place them into the oiled pan. Cover and allow the rolls to proof again, until doubled. Pre-heat the oven to 375˚F.
- When the rolls are ready bake them in the centre of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes. When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool down for about 20 minutes before drizzling over the glaze.
Use non-dairy milk and butter for dairy free/vegan option.
Tips & Techniques