Organic Whole Grain Kamut & Spelt Bread
Join Anita's Bake Club to rate and review recipes and to save your favourites to your own digital recipe box.
Here we have the grand-daddy of Ancient Grain breads. This loaf is made of a delightful blend of our Kamut and Spelt Flours. Enjoy this hearty and flavourful loaf with soups, stews or use to make your favourite sandwich.
- 250 g Anita’s Kamut Flour
- 350 g Anita’s Spelt Flour (Stoneground, Fine Grind or Sprouted)
- 7 g 2 tsp Instant yeast
- 360 ml Lukewarm water
- 14 g Sea salt
- 30 ml olive oil
- 60 g Roasted sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the sunflower seeds.
- Knead the dough by hand for approx. 8-12 min until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. If using a stand mixer mix on low speed for 4 minutes and then on second speed for 4-6 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Add the sunflower seeds and mix until evenly dispersed.
- Cover the dough to prevent it from drying out and let It ferment for approx. 60 mins or until it has reached double volume.
- Divide the dough in two pieces and preshape in a light ball. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a boule or oblong, place in a proofing basket or between the layers of a couche, loosely cover with plastic.
- Proof the shaped loaf for 60 minutes at warm room temperature or until a dent made by a floured finger slowly springs back but not quite all the way.
- Score the dough and bake on a pizza stone or in a Dutch oven at 450˚F for 30-40 min until dark brown. If using a Dutch oven, preheat the pan and remove the lid after 20 minutes of baking.
Tips & Techniques